town

691 photos and 77 illustrations tagged town, from 36 members of Flickr Commons.

When were these photos & illustrations taken?

97
1863
2025

 

Where were these photos & illustrations tagged?

40% of these photos & illustrations are geotagged.

Tags that often appear on the same photos & illustrations:

Members using this tag

Photos & Illustrations

Show photos & illustrations photos (691) illustrations (77)

A selection of photos & illustrations tagged town:

Loading photos & illustrations…

See more on flickr.com →

Recent uploads

The last upload was October 2025.

Conversations

Here’s a selection of the conversations happening on these photos & illustrations:

View of Bundaberg Foundry from across the river Bundaberg

  • Vesna Verencevic said:
    The Bundaberg Foundry has been a Bundaberg institution on the north side of the river for over 100 years. But it actually had its genesis in Targo Street, about where the Imperial Hotel stood (now the Central Hotel). A Mr Thomas Child (Snr) was employed in, or began, Bundaberg’s first iron foundry either on the site of the Imperial Hotel, or on land in front of the Imperial Hotel, depending on the source.1,2 Other sources credit Thomas’s son Thomas Obadiah Child with adding the foundry arm to the business in 1885. Thomas (Snr) developed a prosperous and well-regarded business, and once he handed over the reigns to his son Thomas Obadiah the business continued to grow and develop. From mid-1887 the foundry is referred to as Messrs. Roberts, Coombe, and Co. Bundaberg Foundry. The firm was in its ‘infancy’ and they had won contracts for the railways, a new wharf, and the railings of the new Queensland National Bank. In 1888 the company was set to change again, with the advertisement of the “Prospectus of the Bundaberg Foundry Company, Limited, Bundaberg”. On 28 November 1888 the new Bundaberg Foundry Co., Ltd advertised its intentions to move their business to North Bundaberg. The Foundry, unfortunately, suffered some losses in the flooding Bundaberg experienced in early 1890. On the evening of 18 December 1920 a fire at the Bundaberg Foundry lit up the night sky. 1926 120 hands were employed by the Foundry which was regarded as the headquarters for the manufacture of machinery for the Australian sugar and mining industries. 1952 Bundaberg Foundry delivers to Mossman Mill in North Queensland two steam coal-fired locomotives, ‘Bundy’ (named after the Foundry) and ‘Speedy’. These two locos now perform tourist service at the historic Bally Hooley Steam Railway at Port Douglas. 1989 Bundaberg Foundry was purchased by Bundaberg Sugar. Bundaberg Foundry becomes a member of the Bundaberg Sugar group. 2001 On a June morning an explosion at the Foundry shook homes and businesses in North Bundaberg and resulted in molten metal landing in surrounding streets. A Foundry worker managed to run from the scene just before the explosion, which was the result of contact between water and molten metal. The explosion set fire to the roof and caused $50,000 damage. 2008 In January Bundaberg Foundry changes its name to Bundaberg Walkers Engineering Limited. The Foundry today Bundaberg Walkers Engineering Limited still remains part of the Bundaberg Sugar group which is owned by Finasucre. They provide a diversified range of products and services for the sugar industry, as well as general engineering products and services. Their work serves domestic and international clients. Peta Browne Bundaberg Regional Libraries www.artsbundaberg.com.au/downloads/file/40/bundaberg-foun...,(now%20the%20Central%20H

Falls are Bann(ed)

Ambulance building, Bundaberg, Queensland ca 1913

  • Vesna Verencevic said:
    Sir Douglas Fraser ISO, President of the QATB State Council performed the official opening on 4 April 1969 before a crowd of about 250 people. In outlining the history of the QATB in Bundaberg the Committee Chairperson (Ald D.G. Rattray) said that the original building catered for a population of 10,000 when it was constructed in 1913 and that in 1969 the Centre had to meet the needs of a district population of 48,000. The Committee had arranged the manufacture of a specially-built sulky to trail the litter. The late H.R. Lassig donated a pony to draw the sulky. This turnout - horse, litter and officer - allowed speedy travel to the scene of accidents or the sick and needy. The patient would be placed on the litter and, on the return trip, the officer was compelled to push the litter and travel on foot. The pony was trained to follow the officer who was pushing the litter. The next step of progress was in 1912 when a four-wheel ambulance field wagon pulled by two horses and complete with two stretchers was acquired. The splendid service of the QATB by this time had been worthily recognised by the public of Bundaberg and district with their most generous financial support to the extent that the Committee in 1912 decided to build a new Centre on land that had been acquired in Maryborough Street. Source: www.ambulance.qld.gov.au/docs/history/Bundaberg.pdf