churcharchitecture

21 photos and 1 illustration tagged churcharchitecture, from 2 members of Flickr Commons.

When were these photos & illustrations taken?

3
1874
2013

 

Where were these photos & illustrations tagged?

90% of these photos & illustrations are geotagged.

Tags that often appear on the same photos & illustrations:

Members using this tag

Photos & Illustrations

Show photos & illustrations photos (21) illustrations (1)

Photos & Illustrations tagged churcharchitecture:

Loading photos & illustrations…

See more on flickr.com →

Recent uploads

The last upload was December 2013.

Conversations

Here’s a selection of the conversations happening on these photos & illustrations:

Kingaroy Methodist Memorial Church, 1953

  • Vesna Verencevic said:
    The Church was built as a war memorial and commemorates the men and women of the district who served in World Wars One and Two. The foundation stone for the church was laid in 1947 and the church was officially opened on the 15th November 1953. Front Inscription KINGAROY DISTRICT METHODIST MEMORIAL CHURCH To The Glory Of God And In Honour Of The Men And Women Of This District Who Served In World Wars I & II This Stone Was Laid By The President Of The Queensland Conference Rev. A. A. Mills, M. C. 11th. October 1947. Rev. W. Lawton Minister Source: www.monumentaustralia.org.au/themes/conflict/multiple/dis...

Holy Trinity Church of England at Woolloongabba, 1949

  • Vesna Verencevic said:
    A report in a Brisbane newspaper in 1930 described the newly built church as follows: “Crowning the highest part of Hawthorne St…the Church of the Holy Trinity, which has been designed in Italian Romanesque style (and strictly conforms with 11th-century style work), commands, sentinel-like, a view of the entire parish; the white tower, flood-lighted at night, standing 25 meters above the street level.” The Parish of Holy Trinity at Woolloongabba has been rebuilt or repaired three times in its history. The parish has well and truly stood the test of time, natural disasters, and destruction. In fact, the current church is the third structure that has stood on the site! *** The original wooden church, builtn in 1870, was destroyed by a major storm in October 1874. *** The church was re-built in 1875. That building stood proudly until 1929 when it was destroyed by a major fire, although the cause and origin of the blaze were never found. *** In 2014 the church and hall were both badly damaged by the wildly destructive November storms which hit Brisbane. Source: anglicanfocus.org.au/2019/06/17/holy-trinity-church-stand...

View of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Bundaberg, 1932

  • Vesna Verencevic said:
    St Andrew's Uniting Church at Bundaberg is a substantial brick church located in the heart of the city, at the corner of Maryborough and Woongarra Streets, opposite Buss Park. Designed in the Gothic style, the body of the church is cruciform in shape and is positioned north-south such that the sanctuary faces north. The building is constructed of variegated and multi-colored bricks, with decorative cement dressings on the external walls. The roof is clad with fibrous-cement tiles. The building is laid on a cement foundation and its maximum overall dimensions are 115 feet by 41 feet. A carillon tower of 'battlement design', attached to the eastern side of the building, dominates the building. The tower measures 71 feet in height and slightly tapers toward the top. Each face of the tower has decorative arched openings and is crowned with the cross of St Andrew on the middle battlement. The tower contains a carillon, or set of bells, one of which bears the emblem of the burning bush and dedication to the memory of members of the Pierson family. A First World War Honour Board is located in the Tower entry and later memorials have been added. At the southern end of the church is the official main entry. Above the entry is a large stained glass window that consists of four large panels crowned by seven crosses; the whole arrangement is set within an arch. There are six stained glass windows along either side of the nave, set between the buttresses. Exposed arched trusses in dark stained pine support the roof structure and dominate the internal ceiling. The eastern and southern boundaries of the property are marked by a low stone fence, with a small roofed gate (reminiscent of a lych gate) at the corner where the two boundaries meet. . The gate is made of the same stone as the fence and has a fibrous-cement tiled roof. Gardens have been established along the sides and southern end of the church. These consist of garden beds along the base of the walls, low set shrubs, and a number of small trees. These help to reinforce links with the neighboring Buss Park. Source: apps.des.qld.gov.au/heritage-register/detail/?id=602489