toowoomba

42 photos and 5 illustrations tagged toowoomba, from 1 member of Flickr Commons.

When were these photos & illustrations taken?

6
1864
2010

 

Where were these photos & illustrations tagged?

93% of these photos & illustrations are geotagged.

Tags that often appear on the same photos & illustrations:

Members using this tag

Photos & Illustrations

Show photos & illustrations photos (42) illustrations (5)

Photos & Illustrations tagged toowoomba:

Loading photos & illustrations…

See more on flickr.com →

Recent uploads

The last upload was September 2025.

Conversations

Here’s a selection of the conversations happening on these photos & illustrations:

Remains of Pigott & Company's building after the fire, Toowoomba 1909

  • Vesna Verencevic said:
    M.D. Pigott set up a drapery business in Brisbane soon after arriving in Australia in 1885. He opened his first store in Russell Street, Toowoomba (next to the Criterion Hotel) on 6 July 1896. Pigott & Co advertised that at their opening there would be the 'most marvellous bargains ever offered in Toowoomba.' Just a year after opening Pigott & Co moved into specially remodelled premises in Ruthven Street on 24 August 1897. M.D. Pigott, his wife Mary Josephine and eight children moved from Brisbane to Toowoomba following the success of the store. During the later years of the 1890s and into the early years of the twentieth century, branch stores were opened at Boonah, Beaudesert, Chinchilla, Pittsworth, Dalby and Warwick. Tragedy strikes in 1909 In 1908 the store was completely remodelled including vestibule windows. Tragedy struck Pigott & Co when fire broke out on 8 July 1909 only a month after the renovations were complete. The building and stock were completely destroyed. To continue the running of the popular store a temporary building and offices were arranged the very next day. Warehouses rallied to supply goods and after a couple of weeks, business had increased and the temporary premises had to be extended. On 18 April 1910, the new Pigott & Co store opened with twice the floor space, enlarged departments and new departments added. Source: www.tr.qld.gov.au/our-region/history/historic-locations/1...

Lady Lamington with a cockatoo , Toowoomba, ca. 1899

  • Vesna Verencevic said:
    The wives of Queensland governors have filled important roles as official hostesses, patrons of the arts and of charitable and educational institutions, particularly those serving women and children. Their work, however, has been overshadowed by that of their husbands and these women may seem colourless and remote figures. A typescript of material taken from the 'diary' of Lady Lamington, wife of Lord Lamington, Governor of Queensland between 1896 and 1901, was presented to the John Oxley Library, Brisbane, in 1999 by her granddaughters. These reminiscences provide insights into the role of Lady Lamington as consort of Queensland's last colonial governor. The Lamingtons' years of office were significant, with the entry of Queensland into the Commonwealth and the preoccupations of war, drought and outbreaks of bubonic plague. In 1901, the Federation celebrations were followed by the death of the British monarch and later, a royal visit, for which the Lamingtons acted as hosts. Lady Lamington was young, observant and interested in people and her view of the events of this time, set against the more public accounts, helps to shed light on the woman, her position and the events she witnessed. Source: search.informit.org/doi/10.3316/INFORMIT.889142050428271

School girls from Glennie College Toowoomba Queensland 1917

  • Vesna Verencevic said:
    Founded in 1908, Glennie has operated on its present site on the west side of the City of Toowoomba since 1910. The Glennie School, so named, perpetuates the work of Archdeacon Benjamin Glennie, who first came to the Darling Downs in 1848 before the State of Queensland was established in 1859. Benjamin Glennie (1812–1900) spent much of his life serving the spiritual needs of residents on the Darling Downs. He was also very concerned that educational facilities should be provided for the children of settlers. Canon Glennie, as he then was, collected money where he could and sold vegetables he grew in his own garden. The money he acquired was given to the Anglican Diocese of Brisbane and used in 1898 to acquire the land on which the School now stands. On 27 July 1908, Grace and Margaret Lawrance were invited to become the first co-principals when the Diocese of Brisbane acquired their school, St Alban’s College which had been established in the home of Mrs Cruise in Russell Street. Following Canon Glennie’s death, an endowment fund was established and became known as the Glennie Memorial School Fund. Under this title, the endowment fund attracted considerable public support and became the nucleus of the monies that built the ‘Glennie Memorial School’. The original school building was dedicated on 10 August 1910 on its present site. It remains a fine example of the architecture of H J Marks whose designs can be found in a number of historic buildings in Toowoomba. Source: www.glennie.qld.edu.au/about-us/glennie-s-history/