moretonisland

14 photos tagged moretonisland, from 1 member of Flickr Commons.

When were these photos taken?

4
1860
1930

 

Where were these photos tagged?

92% of these photos are geotagged.

Tags that often appear on the same photos:

Members using this tag

Photos

Photos tagged moretonisland:

Loading photos…

See more on flickr.com →

Recent uploads

The last upload was January 2024.

Conversations

Here’s a selection of the conversations happening on these photos:

Telegraph and Lookout station at South Passage Moreton Island

  • Vesna Verencevic said:
    Mulgumpin meaning ‘place of sandhills’ is the Aboriginal name for Moreton Island. Mulgumpin lies within the area referred to as Quandamooka, which is commonly defined as the region and indigenous people of Moreton Bay and its islands. The indigenous people of Quandamooka include the Ngugi (Moreton Island), and the Gorenpul and Nunukal clans (North Stradbroke Island). Their connection with the land and sea has a strong spiritual basis and some animals are strongly linked with traditions and customs. Archaeological sites on the island are important to the Ngugi descendants as a reflection of their heritage. Numerous cultural sites have been recorded over the island and include shell and bone scatters, large shell middens and a stone quarry. Captain Cook made the first recorded European sighting of Moreton Bay and Moreton Island in 1770, followed by Matthew Flinders in 1799. The northern end of Moreton Island became the main passage to Brisbane. In 1857, convicts built Queensland’s first lighthouse from local sandstone at Cape Moreton. These days the light is fully automated. A telegraph line was built in the 1890s to service the Cape Moreton lighthouse and link North Stradbroke Island, Kooringal and Bulwer with the lighthouse. In 1952 the line was abandoned, but relics of the old line are still visible along the Bulwer–North Point Road and the Telegraph Road. A further signal light was built at Cowan Cowan in 1874, followed by a lighthouse in 1899. As the Brisbane settlement grew, shipping activity increased, which led to many shipwrecks and much loss of life at sea. Graves of some of those who perished remain on the island today. Queensland’s only whaling station operated at Tangalooma from 1952 to 1962. Remains of the whaling station are now part of the Tangalooma Resort facilities. Source: www.mulgumpincamping.net.au/the-island/culture-history/

Lighthouse at Comboyuro Point, Moreton Island, 1906

  • Vesna Verencevic said:
    Comboyuro Lighthouse: To the west was the Comboyuro Lighthouse, established in 1877 and manned by a lightkeeper on £96 pa and increased to £108 pa. On 1st October 1902, the Inskip Point Pilot Samuel James Reilly was transferred from Inskip Point to Comboyuro Point as lightkeeper and remained in this job until 1915 on an annual salary of £96. In 1915 the Commonwealth Government took over responsibility for all lighthouses. Reilly died in October 1919 at the age of 80 - making him the oldest and longest-serving lightkeeper in Australia. From August 1920 and during the war the Comboyuro Point Lighthouse was operated by Charlie Waye, accompanied by his wife Doris, son Norm, and two daughters Joy and Dot. The lighthouse began as a "Comboyuro Point Light" - lightroom erected in 1863 with large kerosene burners. In 1867 a new lighthouse was built to replace the old lightroom. With the increased shipping into Brisbane, a higher tower with a new and powerful condensing apparatus was built in 1874 but this had to be shifted 200 ft inland in 1890 because of encroachment of the sea. Erosion continued and it was further shifted 366 ft inland in 1905 (see photo above). The cottage remained in position for 12 months then it too had to be shifted. This is how it appeared for the next 50 years - right through WW2 when Charlie Waye was the lightkeeper. He left for Hook Point in 1945. In 1954 it was converted to "gas automatic, unattended" and the services of the lightkeeper were dispensed with. After considerable erosion, the lighthouse was discontinued in October 1960. Finally, the Comboyuro Lighthouse collapsed into the sea later that year. The Lightkeeper's cottage - which was about 500 yards inland from the lighthouse - was a 4 bedroom weatherboard house with galvanised iron roof, verandah, big dining room, and lounge. It was dismantled in the 1960s. An era had come to an end. All that now remains are two mango trees and a Brazilian cherry tree about 40 m to the west of where the house once stood. Source: indicatorloops.com/comboyuro.htm

Landing at Bulwer, Moreton Island, Queensland, 1906