covers

5 photos and 2 illustrations tagged covers, from 5 members of Flickr Commons.

When were these photos & illustrations taken?

2
1869
2013

 

Where were these photos & illustrations tagged?

28% of these photos & illustrations are geotagged.

Tags that often appear on the same photos & illustrations:

Members using this tag

Photos & Illustrations

Show photos & illustrations photos (5) illustrations (2)

Photos & Illustrations tagged covers:

Loading photos & illustrations…

See more on flickr.com →

Recent uploads

The last upload was May 2021.

Conversations

Here’s a selection of the conversations happening on these photos & illustrations:

Omslag socialistisch blad 19de eeuw / Cover Dutch socialist magazine 19th century

Creeping plant covers St. Andrew's Church of England at Lutwyche, 1949

  • Vesna Verencevic said:
    In the year 2016 parishioners of St Andrew’s Anglican Parish of Lutwyche celebrated the culmination of 150 years of faith and witness. Although St Andrew’s Church at Lutwyche in its present form dates from 1926, an Anglican church has stood on the site at 673 Lutwyche Road since 1866. The existence of a church in this place is due to the benevolence of Judge Alfred James Peter Lutwyche who was the first Supreme Court Judge at Moreton Bay from 21 February 1859 and also the zeal of The Reverend James Matthews, Rector of the Parish of Holy Trinity in Fortitude Valley who began the building of much-needed churches in the outlying areas of Brisbane.. On St Andrew’s Day (30 November) 1866 a Gothic-Style wooden church was opened, free of debt, due to public subscription. On 1 December 1866 the Brisbane Courier newspaper described the original St Andrew’s Anglican Church at Lutwyche as being “comfortably accommodating 133 persons with the architect [Richard George Suter 1827-1874) endeavouring to produce, as far as the material at his disposal would permit, a building which should remind those who frequent it of the quiet English village church and at the same time prove the possibility of coming ecclesiastical character with the use of common everyday materials.” The completed exterior includes a Church tower and clock. St Andrew’s Lutwyche is one of the few Churches in Brisbane to house 13 bells and the Church is well known in the local community for its beautiful bell ringing. The peel of bells was dedicated on 20 November 1927 made by the English bell-founders John Taylor and Co. at the famous Loughborough Bell Foundry. The stained glass windows that date from the original church depict the natures of Christ; the Evangelists; the Blessed Virgin Mary; Sts. Andrew, Alban, Augustine, David, George and St. Clare. Memorials such as that for Captain Claude and Mrs Whish, early benefactors, who died when the RMS ‘Quetta’ sank on the Great Barrier Reef in February 1890 are featured within the Church. A banner from the original church in 1866 which was used in street parades is displayed above the original font in the baptistery. As the parish continued to grow, the Church was extended again in the 1960’s when the present sanctuary was added approximately doubling the size of the Church. Incorporated in the front left pillar at this time was some Caerbwdi stone from St David’s Cathedral, Pembrokeshire, South Wales, dating from 1180CE. Source: lutwycheanglican.org.au/history/